Friday 6 August 2010

Hook, loop and through

As a result of the 80s/90s British Education system, we girls at school were not encouraged to try too much at 'old-fashioned' pursuits such as knitting and sewing. I, and a couple of my friends, however, loved Home Ecconomics and persuaded our teacher to start up a sewing lunchtime club. We would go there twice a week with our cross-stitch and sew and chat away to our teacher, who was lovely.

At home my mother did teach me the basics of knitting but I didn't really have the knack for it. Embroidery was much more my thing.

Why am I telling you all this? Well, every time I came away on holiday I would have an embroidery project on the go but this year I decided to try something new. Knitting is supposed to be the latest craze but I still can't seem to get a grasp of it. I always lose track of whether to be knitting or purling and get all tangled up. Instead, I decided to teach myself to crochet. There was still the odd bit that confused me and so I thought I'd take it here on holiday and get my mum to explain it.

And that's what I've done. These last 10 days or so since we came here I've been trying out odds and ends of crochet stitches.I'm so proud of them I'm going to share them with you here.

OK, here's the first effort. I was trying out my double, treble and half-treble stitches. (My boys now use this as a blanket for their Lego men!)

Then I had to try joining on a new colour:......

                                                                   ............... voila!   


Feeling brave I thought I'd try out a granny/afghan square......

                                   .............ta-da! Can you tell how excited I am to be mastering this?

                                                            
                                               Next project, a flower.




My current project isn't quite finished yet, but below are the two halves of a retro-style tea cosy. It's going to have a couple of wee flowers on the top and no matter how chintzy it is, I love it!
I can forsee crocheted gifts for friends and family this Christmas. You have been warned!

1 comment:

  1. I love the projects. I am the same way about knitting and crocheting, I always forget how to knit if I haven't done it for a while; crocheting is always with me; I never seem to forget it. I think the tea cozy is going to be really sweet.
    Many Blessings,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.