Monday 18 October 2010

Miscellaneous Monday



~Way back in May, our dishwasher packed in. We called in the appliance repair man who said it wasn't worth fixing as the repair would cost almost as much as a new machine. So we thought we'd survive without it and get a new machine after the summer. Then, when we were about ready to fork out for it, the oven broke and that was a much bigger priority to get fixed!  I did feel very virtuous washing all those dishes by hand, but I must say, I am delighted that our new machine was fitted last week! Hooray!!!! My dishes are gleaming. I'd forgotten how clean they get in the dishwasher!


~Today is the first day of the school half-term holidays. The best bit is that my beloved has taken the week off work too. 


~The boys and I spent the morning today at my brother's house. The boys played with their cousins while my sister-in-law and I sat and had tea, scones and cake with our old flat-mate who is on holiday down here for a few days. When I first came to the city I moved into her flat. She was a year ahead of me at University and was studying English Literature and Scottish Ethnology (Scottish cultural studies!). I stayed in the same flat until I got married three years later, and we had become such good friends that I asked her to be my bridesmaid.

When I moved out, my brother's then girlfriend (and my future sister-in-law), needed somewhere to stay and so moved into my space. These are the tight-knit circles of our Scottish churches! 

A year later my flat-mate was married, some other girls moved in with my sister-in-law and then 18 months later she was married too. We used to joke that there was something special about the flat which meant that all girls who stayed in it would soon be wed! 

It was lovely to see her again. Although we keep in touch by Facebook, as she and her family (2 boys and a girl) stay up north, we don't get to meet up very often.



~Today was a really, really autumnal day. Cold and very, very wet!



~Tomorrow the boys are going for a sleepover at their cousins' house. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it! :0)


Gaelic word of the day:
caraid (car-adj) - friend


4 comments:

  1. Oh I just loved reading about your university years! And how fun and cozy it sounds! I love hearing about you and your sis-in-law having tea and scones while the kids played.

    I am so happy that you have your dishwasher back! Due to Benjamin's military training last year, I stayed in Ohio with my sister and brother. They don't have a dishwasher and it took so much time out of the day to keep up with the kitchen! When we moved into our house here, it was bliss to be using my very own dishwasher lol! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed hearing about your flatmates, and it would be fun to see a picture of all of you. Love that each got married shortly after moving in. You probably all feel
    as if you are family. The package on your previous post looks like a delightful surprise, and those cookies below look amazing.
    Much Love,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder what was in the water in that flat?! Teehee!

    We got a dishwasher 5 1/2 years after we got married, the biggest difference I notice (apart from the super shininess of everything) is how much time I save every evening!! Enjoy the extra time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your dishwasher! I would love to have one, but our kitchen doesn't have space for it. :(

    So great that you will have your husband home for a week! Isn't it great when they get time off work!?!

    Loved hearing all of your Miscellaneous Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.