Monday 31 January 2011

Away up in Gorgie at Tyncastle Park......

On Saturday we attended the wedding of a work colleague of my husband. The boys had been looking forward to it because the wedding reception was to be held in the function suite of the football team that they and my husband support.

At dad's suggestion they took their football tops with them to change into for the evening. They wore their kilts to the service and then when we had parked outside the stadium got changed in the car into their football tops. There was some hilarity in the car as tried to get changed without being seen, even though we were parked in a dark street, at night, and the car has tinted windows!



Alasdair doesn't have a football top so he stayed in his kilt.







At the start of the evening the groom had a word with the security man and the boys were allowed to go to the pitch-side.




I stayed inside so this next photo was taken by my husband. I think he was so excited that he forgot to hold the camera still!





On a slightly different note, the boys were hugely impressed when they saw the wedding cake.


Princess Leah and Hans Solo.








with Darth Vader at the bottom





And the words in this post title are from the club song,

Away up in Gorgie at Tynecastle Park
There’s a wee football team that aye makes it’s mark
They’ve won all the honours for footballing arts
And there’s nae other team to compare with the Hearts

H-E-A-R-T-S
If you cannae spell it then here’s what it says
Hearts glorious Hearts
It’s down at Tynecastle they bide
The talk of the toun are the boys in Maroon
And Auld Reekie supports them with pride
This is my story this is my song
Follow the Hearts and you can’t go wrong
For some say the Celtic and Rangers are grand
but the boys in maroon are the best in the land

As a wee footnote, my husband took me to a Hearts match when we were 'just good friends'. The trouble was, I had been brought up in a family of blue-noses (Rangers fans) and we were going to watch Rangers V Hearts, at  Ibrox (Rangers' stadium) in the Hearts end! I had to pretend to be a Hearts fan that day. Hearts won 3-0 so we have a laugh now about how my husband got to hug me three times! It wasn't long after this that we became officially more than just friends, although the football had nothing to do with it!

Now, living with boys who all support the Hearts I have to keep my original colours under wraps! I'm quite happy to support the same team as them, just not when they play mine!

Gaelic word of the day:
ball-coise (bal-cosh-e) - football 


4 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun time - the photos are so cute! And wow to that cake - my boys would also be super impressed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun fun time! I loved the cake!!! Such a cute story about you and your husband! Alasdair looks darling in his kilt standing with with the boys. I love weddings and this one sounded very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos, especially with the kilt!

    Bridget in Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your boys are so cute! I just love little Alasdair in his kilt! And what a great cake! I'll have to show my little guy; he'll be so impressed!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.