Friday 3 June 2011

Little Baba turns 2!

Two years ago today our littlest man made his rather speedy arrival into the world.




He had kept us waiting for 11 days past his official due date. His older brothers were also all 'late' but he was the latest, beating his oldest brother by one day.

The morning he was born, I woke up at 4.30am to go to the bathroom - I'm sure all those who are mothers will be familiar with this as part of the routine of late pregnancy!

Only, when I got there, with no warning, my waters broke. Not being the panicking type, I calmly woke my beloved up to let him know things were finally happening, but inside I was clearly remembering that with the previous three births the baby had followed almost immediately after the waters breaking! However, with them, there had been regular contractions beforehand and this time they were only just starting, and although strong, not in a particularly regular pattern.

The hospital advised us to go in as soon as we wanted since the previous births had been quite quick, so we waited for my brother's wife to come over and stay with the other boys. I was pretty sure that baby wasn't far off, even though there still hadn't been many contractions, so we also asked a neighbour to come round until she got here. My SIL was super quick though, and our neighbour got to go back to bed :0) 

We left the house just before 5am and the hospital is only a 5 minute drive away. We got into the labour ward at about 5.10am. The midwife was lovely and sorting out the admissions, when I said I thought she should maybe examine me. She did, and seemed as shocked as I was when she said, 'I think the baby will be here with the next contraction!'

She was right.

At 5.15am Alasdair Kenneth was born weighing 8lb 5oz (the same as his oldest brother) and 21 inches long (the same as all of his brothers!)



As we were going home as soon as we could, there was no need for us to go up to the post natal ward. We were able to stay in the quiet little room until all the official bits were over. 

We got home at lunchtime when Alasdair met his very excited older brothers.



My husband still has cold sweats about how closely he came to nearly having to deliver this one himself!

One day old.


Oh, 'baba' is what he calls himself, as well as 'ya-yee' (Ally).

After a miserable month of weather in May, the sun finally shone today for his birthday, and boy did it shine! It was hot, hot, hot, and the boys finally got the paddling pool out. 

Baba had a busy and fun filled birthday, but more about that another day.

6 comments:

  1. What a great post,Kirsteen! That was a close one! How lovely to have such sweet boys in your home! Glad the sun is shining there...it happens that it is here as well...and hasn't until today! Your baba's birthday sunshine is very widespread! Very happy birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O!! Happy birthday to your wee man! What a cutie.
    That is absolutely crazy how quickly he came!! Let's see, at two, I wonder...has he slowed down yet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that was so close! My fourth birth sounds very similar. I hope he has a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww too sweet! Love the pics, too! And wow, you weren't kidding when you said he came fast! That is the shortest delivery I think I've heard of, yet! :) -- Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow he did come fast!! Lovely story though, and you look amazing one day after!! I have a feeling that if I ever have any more they would also be equally fast, the last was an hour.

    I hope Alasdair had a lovely day,

    D xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kisrteen I can't believe he is two! Our babies aren't that far apart! I loved every detail you shared and could have read on and on!

    I have been away from blogging far too long! I have started a post for my blog three times this week and still have not gotten back to it! But Oh do I miss you and yours!

    I am so glad I was here to wish Alasdair a Happy Birthday though! Much love sweet friend!

    XOXOX
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.