Wednesday 3 October 2012

Cookbooks

Did I mention that I got some new cookbooks for my birthday?


I did? Several times?


Well, ok, yes I did. These are the books....


I do love a good cookbook, reading through it and taking notes about what I want to make next.

The bottom left book is where I got the inspiration for last week's Recipe of the Week (see here if you missed it)

With the top book in the photo, I think I might just start at the beginning and try out every single recipe. They all look so good! It's all about breads, which is something I'm not so used to making. My homemade bread comes courtesy of the bread maker - sacrilege to Mr Hollywood, I fear! Using his fine book though, I feel sure to conquer the challenge. It's full of step by step guides, plenty of photos and loads of advice.


I've not been the only one enjoying the books. The birthday boy, a huge British Bakeoff fan, loves looking through them.


This is how I found him the other day.....

Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way I can adapt those two breads he is looking at to make them gluten and dairy free so that he can try them!

 

6 comments:

  1. Hmm...I may have to look into those cookbooks - they sound great! I love that you found Calum pouring over them. That's not always the sort of books little guys like, but I think it's so cool when they do! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend all three of them Sarah!

      Delete
  2. Hello, just wanted to say I did read somewhere that buckwheat flour was gluten free. I have a nephew that is on a special diet for gluten free. I suggested that he try it, but I have not heard if it worked or if it really is gluten free.
    Maybe your son can take some pictures for you and you'll have your own designer:)
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Roxy. Yes buckwheat is gluten free but it does have a strong flavour if used on its own. I have a very good gluten free flour that I use for all my baking, Doves Farm Gluten Free Flour, and it tastes almost the same as normal flour.

      The trouble with gluten free bread though, is that you don't knead it, since it's to benefit the gluten in the normal flour that you have to knead it, therefore there is no point kneading gluten free flour as there is no gluten in it! I think, but am not sure, that the best way to make a gluten free bread is by making a batter type mix, but I need to research this a bit more though!

      Delete
  3. Those look like some nice cookbooks. I love cookbooks too. There is something nice about sitting down with a good cookbook and making plans, and being inspired with ways to bless your family.

    Yes, I think gluten free bread would need to be a batter type bread (more quick bread type), because the yeast needs gluten to work with, Well one can dream... and you never know what somebody might come up with to create new options in bread.

    Happy Birthday to Calum. It looks like a lovely birthday.

    Blessings,

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is how I am with crocheting or craft books! I get so excited, I can hardly decide what to do first.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. I really appreciated that you took time to leave a comment as well.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.