Thursday 31 January 2013

Recipe of the Week - Spiced Salmon

In total contrast to all the chocolate indulgence that has been going on over on the Housefulofboys Facebook page, I thought I would share a nice healthy recipe to get Recipe of the Week back up and running after the holidays.

I'm pretty sure I have confessed before to not being a huge fish fan. I know, I know, shame on me with my island heritage. I do make homemade fish fingers for the boys from time to time (recipe can be found under the allergy free tab) and I do eat them too, as long as I have a good dollop of mayonnaise with them!

The one fish that I do like is salmon. Not the cheapest fish, I know.

However, I was quite pleased recently to discover a 'value brand' salmon in our supermarket which meant that buying enough for 6 wasn't nearly as expensive as it usually is! Which also means that we can have this yummy dish more often.

It's ideal as a super fast, super easy midweek dinner.

If you can get a whole side of salmon it's also quite impressive as a dinner for friends.

You will need:

One side of salmon or about 4 pieces

2 tsps honey

2 tsps mustard

1.5 tsps ground ginger

1.5 tsps paprika


~ In a bowl, mix together the honey, mustard, ginger and paprika.

~ Line a baking sheet with tin foil and sit your salmon on top.

~ Spread the spice mixture across the top of your salmon.

~ Roast, uncovered, in your oven at 180c for around 20 minutes.

I served ours up with some fresh veggies and lightly spiced rice. It's also yummy with some nice new potatoes but this is the wrong time of year for the really tasty ones so I'm sticking to the rice until the summer!


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good recipe. I love ginger; it sounds great with the Salmon. How do the boys like it? We have mixed feelings about fish at our house too. Everyone loves the fish sticks/fingers as well, but I don't make them that often (and when I say make, I mean I don't buy the already made and make them... that often) I will have to look up your recipe for them, I would love to try them homemade. Salmon is a good fish isn't it? Steve and I love it. It is wonderful for our health and I try to fix it for our family as often as I can (when I can get it at a good price)... I have read having it at least once a week and even twice would be good for our hearts and brains.. I'm not able to get it that often, but would love to. It's nice to have some new ideas. Thanks.

    Love and Blessing,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boys love this dish, Pam. I have read about all the health benefits of eating oily fish often too, but like you say, it's just not economical to have salmon that often and I'm afraid I just don't like the other types of oily fish - although I do like tinned tuna, so add that to my list of exceptions too :0)

      Delete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.